Sunday, August 11, 2013

Project #2: Reflection


  1. What is the essential story behind the piece you created?

The story behind the piece is the essential aspects of an art or design critique.  I had a packed PowerPoint that told the story of how to structure a critique, but I realized that it would be counter-intuitive to show a presentation and basically read off all aspects. So, I asked myself, what would the core issue that my students face everyday. It became clear after that.  Students do not like critiques because they feel it is a reflection of them succeeding or failing.  The objective is to not only tell the students how to do structure a critique, but how to accept a critique.  It’s not about them personally.  It is about how something on the page isn’t sitting right. 


  1. What was your purpose in creating this piece of new media narrative? Do you feel you were successful in communicating your purpose?

It was a very simple way to  portray the subject, but I think it got the point across that constructive criticism is not about the creator.  I had considered making it into an interview, but my subject wasn’t too keen on that idea.  I, also, was not too keen on that idea.  I didn’t want the video to be boring. I wanted to engage the viewer, even if it was portrayed in a comedic way.  I think the length was short enough to get the point across. 


  1. Who was your audience? Do you feel you were successful in reaching your audience?

My audience would be professors and students, most likely of the University demographic, but it may be for younger viewers as well.  I believe I was successful as my point was succinct.  I think it was comedic enough that students would watch it for 3 minutes and get the idea.



  1. Why did you use your particular approach to media production and media selection? Were you successful?

When I thought about my choice of media, I thought it would be easier to get video.  Then I thought, maybe I should make it like a book or a comic strip.   Who doesn’t like exaggerated facial expressions or people reading stories?

Was I successful? Generally, I think I was.  I will be self critical  by saying I could tweak this or tweak that.  I did consider throwing in artwork pieces, such as the Mona Lisa, but I didn’t want to critique someone who was considered a Master.  I, also, did not want to critique someone who was deceased. People go on how, even the Masters of art, were critiqued.  For us, that is after the fact, that we first knew them because they were famous.  Our students are very much alive and they are not famous, so when they hear a critique, it can be painful.  I want the students to know that it is not about them.  It is strictly about the art work.



  1. What did you learn during the process of crafting your media piece that you can use in creating future new media narrative?

The personal project was much easier in telling a story than the professional project, in my opinion.  My first thoughts were how was I to engage the audience when I was basically writing them a “How-to” book on a subject.  That is when I realized I had to change my way of thinking.  Everything can become a story if you can find that basic human connection. For me, that connection was telling the students that the story is not about them, it’s about the work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment